14 June 2014

Jeezo

You could blow me down with a wren's feather. On Thursday afternoon, and with immense tentativeness, I asked if you could lend me a hand to keep the Peat fires burning all the way up to referendum day. I asked for £750. Within hours, in your marvellous kindness, consideration and generosity, the fund had already shot past that. As the balance stands, between donations and the Indiegogo campaign, you've contributed a startling £2,308.03 to the peat worrying kitty.  I'm stunned.   

The Indigogo campaign still has a month to run, but as you can imagine, I'm already pleased as punch. I am also tickled by the range of people who chipped in so generously, including many folk whose opposition to my constitutional politics I know are dyed in the wool and inveterate. This past week has been full of negative representations of the independence campaign as sour, divisive and uncomradely across the Yes/No divide. That's not my experience. 

And like Alex Massie, I'm minded to credit these small, unremarked kindnesses and civilities more than the exaggerated folk devils and moral panics which have dominated the headlines this last week. Surveying the list of backers, I was also struck by the disproportionate number of women who contributed. I take particular heart from that. 

All that remains is to thank wholeheartedly all of those who gave the funder a nudge, put your hands in your pocket, or who wished me well.  It has made this a cheering, unexpectedly affirming kind of a week.

5 comments :

  1. You're welcome.

    Thank you for providing such informed and insightful commentary. I pronounce you to be the intellectual conscience of the Yes blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, though I'm not sure about being anybody's "intellectual conscience"!

      Delete
  2. Uh, Andrew? Since you bust your target so impressively before I actually found my debit card, would you mind awfully if I added my intended donation to you to Paul Kavanagh's fundraiser instead? You know what they say about it being the thought that counts and all that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rolfe, please do. A far worthier cause. And I'm much better appointed than I ever expected after folk gave so generously, so speedily. Don't need another penny.

      Delete
  3. Commendably generous of spirit LPW, I will follow Rolfe and donate to Paul K.

    ReplyDelete